July 16, 2007

How Do You Do It All? (#18)

As an experienced homeschool mom, the question I hear most from people is "How Do you do it all?" The answer, quite simply, is "I don't!" I have taken as my own motto this quote from St. Francis of Assisi: "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible." There's a certain simplicity in this idea that keeps me from being completely overwhelmed with the demands of family life and home education.


It also connects with a helpful quote from Stephen Covey: "You [should] think effectiveness with people and efficiency with things... I see many parents...frustrated in their desire to accomplish a lot because all they seem to do is meet the needs of little children all day. Remember, frustration is a function of our expectations, and our expectations are often a reflection of the social mirror rather than our own values and priorities."

No comments: